Wudu is essential before offering any of the obligatory prayers. This is done in 9 steps:
- Make the intention/blessing. Wash both hands three times.
- Rinse mouth with a handful of water 3 times.
- Sniff water into the nostrils 3 times.
- Wash face 3 times from right ear to left ear.
- Wash the right arm, then the left 3 times each.
- Wash over head from forehead to neck just once.
- Rub wet fingers into the grooves of the ears.
- Pass over nape of neck with wet hands.
- Wash both feet to the ankles 3 times.
Muslims do not have to re-make their wudu five times a day if they do not break their purification. This particular form of ablution can be preformed anywhere where there is clean water asnd does not necessitate a large quantity of water. At most mosques/masjids there is a wudu station that looks like a bench with a faucet and basin in front. However, wudu can be done at a sink, bathtub, or just with 1 cup of water, as the Prophet Muhammad had done on occasion, as not to waste water.
According to Sawar, acts that would break the purification are: going to the bathroom, passing gas, blood or pus flow from any part of the body, vomiting, and falling asleep.